Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dark Souls errors on startup

Currently not resolved, but working (i turned it off and on again)

For no apparent reason a week since last playing the game nolonger launches instead I get:

"loading of specified dinput wrapper failed with error 998: Invalid access to memory location"

Well its nothing wrong with my RAM.
Some forums suggest reinstalling .NetFix, I think thats pointless
Reinstall game, well I'd lose my saves

Hrm, steam wont validate the game files, thats a bit more of a clue.
  • July 26th, 2013, 08:46
  • Using DSFIX
  • use the vs2010 r732 version of the dll
  • rename the x360ce 'Dinput8.dll' to '_Dinput8.dll' and add it to the DarkSouls /Data/ folder
  • set # Dinput dll chaining as follows in DSFIX
  • # Dinput dll chaining
  • # if you want to use another dinput8.dll wrapper together
  • # with DSfix, rename it (e.g. "dinputwrapper.dll") and put the new name here
  • dinput8dllWrapper _dinput8.dll
  • # dsmfix.dllNot Using DSFIX
  • Drop the Dinput8.dll file into the /Data/ folder without any renaming.
  • I'm not answering this again.
Wow that actually worked.
I found:
O:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\DINPUT8.dll

Then I opened the game and it functions. But now the mouse is visible and all the mods that made the game playable are bypassed.


Changed both DATA.exe and DARKSOULS.exe to XP compatability mode and run as admin.
Went back to O:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\REDIST
and rerun the Dxsetup.exe and GFWL setup

Now I get the error:

"loading of specified dinput wrapper failed with error 126: The specified module could not be found"

blarg, just spent another hour not playing this game and im ready for bed but its not fixed
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reinstalled everything to start from scratch
forum post on nexus

suppose I should mention I also occasionally get
"loading of specified dinput wrapper failed with error 1114: A Dynamic link library (DLL) initialisation routine failed."
#this seems to be the same as my main error

"loading of specified dinput wrapper failed with error 126: The specified module could not be found."
#seems I get this when the name of the wrapper is wrong or just absent.

"The program can't start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
#From trying different wrappers in SDfix.ini, found the file in "C:\Program Files\Logitech" and copied it to the game directory, what could go wrong after all.

"loading of specified dinput wrapper failed with error 193: %1 is not a valid Win32 application."
#looks like half of a reference ended up in a bit of code somewhere.

I cant honestly say I have done anything other than add MSVCR110.dll to the DATA folder. The game is once again running with DSfix, and DSMfix. All these errors now seem to be isolated to the inclusion of DSCfix but I think I can live without that one. Though both Josh and Nicole seem to be fine.

I'm leaving this post here as unresolved to come back to if I have further issues.