Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Berserk: The Cataclysm: A review


Berserk cataclysm: Is just now out of beta. It’s a deck building game where the fun is in creating your card deck. I’ve sunk $10 into it making me one of the pay to win players . Tony got me into playing it and over the last week I think I have had it online the entire time I have been home. I wouldn’t say I have “played” the game for 30 hours but I will say the only competition for my time was an occasional FWOTD in LOL&WoT. One of my main goals is to beat VRBones’s swamp regeneration deck. The mountain card I got in the welcome pack can do this but not reliably. All the cards have a similar ability so once there are three of then there are quickly 8 and all doing 5+ damage per hit. But often I lose having only got one card on the field, a prime example of Snowball Strategy.

I wanted to have an undead deck so I could play with Leviathan from the research tree. But the neutral cards looked good too and the only way to get them was from the standard booster. So I only spent my silver there and ended up with a half decent deck of every colour. Now that I have been at it for a bit I’d like more quicker cards, as they can beat both my snowball deck and VRBones’s healing deck. Other than that in spite of my snowball deck I prefer the cards that stand alone and don’t rely on any other cards around them.

Now that I found out what the second tier of the tower does my strategy is to gain as much interest as possible from my lands and use it to get cards from the standard deck until the next game update.

See Also:
Berserk: The Apocalypse
Parting forum post
Berserk: The Cataclysm: Deck strategy
Berserk: The Cataclysm: A reviewF2P: A quick overview and review

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just won a code on Gamestop in their Gamestock Sweeps...its for
    60 Ounces of In-Game Currency for Berserk: The Cataclysm from Kongregate
    The code is
    Enter the code below in the space provided at Kongregate.com/gamestock and you'll be awarded your item and automatically directed to your game.
    Redemption Code:
    GSB-71808-99164-26621
    Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'Day lala

    Thanks for that, I can probably get a whole deck of Leviathans with that :). I have my interest tower now and am gaining ~10,000 silvers per day from my lands. So 10 days should be enough to reimburse my investment.

    It seems I need to login to the game twice a day to maintain my lands and scare off other players. At the moment that is all I am doing. just biding my time until new cards are released and gradually/randomly strengthening my decks with the passive income.

    Another interesting part of the game is that once you have done most of the tutorial quests you dont requite XP for anything. all levelups do is give you free mana.
    But there is a sinister side effect in that you face stronger opponents, both players and barbarians. So now I need to try to maximise my money gain while minimising my XP game.
    More than a little bizarre as a game mechanic.

    Visiting my father at the moment so this update will probably not be from my account.

    ReplyDelete