Friday, May 24, 2013

RAMdrive upgrade for OIL

Decided to fill up the last two RAM slots in my mobo. I’ve had issues with different types of RAM before so this time I’m getting exactly the same so that they are compatible and all run at 1600mhz. I probably should have got them in my new PC first when they were cheaper but meh. It may be the only upgrade I do to this PC.
But what to do with 16GB of rRAM when I don’t even use 8GB? I spent a week checking and 2GB is normal with 4GB spikes when running games simultaneously. GW2 seems to be the one program that needs the most to run. I also found that my mobo has RAMdrive software already, so I trialled that and ran into problems with only 4GB remaining for the system. Since I don’t have any pagefiles allocated when I used all the RAM GW2 just crashed. GW2 seems to be fine with 7GB of RAM.
But when I tried allocating 4GB to the ram drive 2/3 of it was filled with temporary files, when I shrank the drive this went down to 1/5th. So I’m supposing that the RAMdrive will never get filled up by temporary files.
Been running with a 1GB RAM drive for a week or so now, while it may have made things faster (probably on startup) the only really noticable change is that the ASRock RAM drive process stalls the chutdown sequens, occasionally taking an extra five min to finish whats its doing, saving and emptying the cach I suppose.

The setup had me confused at the start:
Readyboost: Sets up a file that improves random read/write access to a HDD. But I have my OS on a SSD so this is irrelevant.
Pagefile: rather than this I should turn the RAM disk off J
System Temp: dunno what this is or if they are real files, but anyway.
Internet Temp (FF&IE): sounds good to me. Then I can lose it on purpose as well
Backup: may as well, when the RAM arrives will test running LOL and WF from a copy here to see if the load times are better. I imagine this would work better for skyrim though, or anything with loading screens.

The helpful forum posts were:
Incidentally Ramon Zarat seems to have said the same thing on every forum that I have looked at. Maybe he built it? Maybe he could actually explain how to use it?
Also found the Thing King game rather interesting; http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Paging_Game

Will try to remember to add some futuremark scores here when the extra ram actually arrives. So I've lost my rezults again but seems I can get the basic version from Steam so DL that now.

In the mean time this is what the RAMdriver config looks like
Not that people get confused how to use it (including me) you have to click stop in the bottom right then do the changes then restart the PC. Then click where stop was to start the program then restart the PC again.
Makes sense when you think of it as physically changing a HDD, of course you need to power down to allow the bios to recognise the new hardware.

So I cant find my futuremark results from when I got this PC. and couldn't get the steam installation of #DMark to work

Then I find that despite my best efforts I have different RAM from previous. Though other than the name I'm not actually sure what the difference is.
 This picture was on my phone and is unrelated.
 The old RAM on the packet with the new RAM
 Product code for Blue, has an extra B1. Banannas seem to be everywhere this week.
 Product code for Genesis
 Blue is hidden under the HDD
Genesis is surrounded by Blue

The difference between the RAM sticks is the latency of the memory timing.

Quick test with running dues Ex, I loaded a game and went into a new area, then tried again in the other installation. Did this twice with inconclusive results.
ram
load 11 10
area 5 13

HDD
load 30 15
area 7 12

Found the unoficial ASRock support forums. Seems the backup option doesnt work and we are not really sure what it is supposed to do.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/52926-xfast-ram.html#post458003
Also Whirlpool usually has an up to date discussion
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2108542&p=-1&

No comments:

Post a Comment